Monday, January 25, 2010

QWERTY ;P


I was watching the movie "Veronika Decides to Die" today. It was really exciting since I had read the novel by my all-time favorite, Paulo Coelho.

It was a cool movie. As I always say, I love wierdo crazy movies because after watching, it makes me feel perfectly normal! Is that crazy?

Anyways its always a treat to watch a movie of a book I read because then I can compare my imagination with what the movie shows ( my imagination always wins :D ).

So what I thought was interesting is a new fact I learned from the movie.

Why do we have QWERTY keyboards?




Seriously, just take a look at your keyboard for a few seconds, doesn't the way the letters are organized look wierd? It may not look it at first because we are so used to it, but I mean how come it isn't alphabetically ordered? Or consonants then vowels? Any type of logical organization ?!! Look at the letters one by one. Have you ever wondered why they were organized this way?

Well, back when people typed on typewriters, the letters were actually organized ALPHABETICALLY. But you know what the problem was? People used to type so quickly, that the letters would get jammed. So, Mr. C. Latham Sholes came up with the QWERTY keyboard, so people would type s-l-o-w-e-r!

Ironic, huh? How we now want to type as fast as possible..


PS. I found this in wikipedia-

"While it is often said that QWERTY was designed to "slow down" typists, this is incorrect – it was designed to prevent jams while typing at speed, yet some of the layout decisions, such as placing only one vowel on the home row, did have the effect of hobbling more modern keyboards."

Oops? Whatever is true, its still interesting to know.


No comments:

Post a Comment